What a Chettinad Business Expo Taught Me About Family Business
I Went to the Chettinad Business Expo to Shop. I Came Back Thinking About Family.
Yesterday, 15 August 2026, I visited the Chettinad Business Expo organised by the *Nagarathar Chamber of Commerce*.
I went to browse.
I bought a few things.
And I came back thinking about family, business and what makes a business truly memorable.
Not because someone gave a talk about family business.
I simply watched what was happening at the stalls.
At one food stall, I heard a grandchild proudly tell a customer:
“My Aachi made it. Taste it and see.”
I smiled.
But then I started noticing something.
That child wasn't an exception.
I was seeing families building businesses together.
At most stalls, there were four or five people managing the business.
Mothers with daughters.
Sisters working together.
Fathers handling transactions.
Husbands actively promoting their wives' businesses.
Parents supporting their daughters.
And grandchildren enthusiastically talking about products made by their grandparents.
At one stall, the founder was an artist. Her sister stood beside her as a core business partner, while their parents supported both daughters.
There was something beautiful about that.
Not just a business being built.
A family standing behind someone's dream.
And then I started noticing how much of their identity had entered the products.
Some return-gift and T-shirt businesses had beautifully brought Chettinad culture and art into their products.
Sarees reflected native art, Chettinad houses, temples and regional stories.
I loved the T-shirts that said:
“Aachi's Favourite.”
“Ayya's Cute One.”
Even the snacks and savouries carried traditional recipes and flavours from their native regions.
They weren't simply selling products.
They were selling a piece of where they came from.
And that is powerful.
Because when culture becomes part of your product, you are no longer competing only on price.
You are giving people a story to take home.
One small stall gave me another business lesson.
A readymade blouse stall caught my attention.
The women managing it were themselves wearing the products they sold.
They confidently demonstrated the comfort, fit and practicality of the designs while helping customers choose.
I thought:
What better testimonial than the person selling it actually believing in and using the product?
No elaborate sales pitch.
Just:
“This is what we make. This is how it works. See for yourself.”
And yes, they were there to sell.
Most stalls had Independence Day offers.
There was a clear attempt to convert visitors into customers.
The products were ready.
The sellers were prepared.
They engaged with enquiries.
They demonstrated.
They offered.
And they asked people to buy.
Business is also about having the courage to make the sale.
But my biggest takeaway wasn't about sales.
It was about family as a business ecosystem.
I saw different people contributing in different ways.
One created.
Another managed.
Someone handled money.
Someone spoke to customers.
Someone promoted.
Someone carried the recipes.
Someone brought the cultural knowledge.
Someone simply stood beside the founder.
They didn't all have the same role.
They had different roles with a shared sense of ownership.
And that made me think deeply about family businesses.
Because being a family-owned business and being a well-functioning family-managed business are not necessarily the same thing.
Family gives you something incredibly valuable:
Trust.
Shared history.
Commitment.
Knowledge.
Relationships.
A reason to care beyond the balance sheet.
But family can also bring complexity.
Who gets to decide?
Who is responsible?
How are roles defined?
How do you handle disagreements?
How do you bring the next generation in?
How do you respect family relationships while still making professional business decisions?
And perhaps most importantly:
How do you build systems without making the business lose its family character?
This also reminded me why family-managed businesses have always interested me professionally.
The challenge isn't simply running a business with family.
It is creating enough clarity around roles, decisions and accountability while preserving the relationships and values that make the family business special.
That balance is where meaningful family business transformation begins.
Yesterday, at the Chettinad Business Expo, I saw a beautiful reminder of what is possible when a family doesn't just own a business —
but participates in building it.
A daughter creating.
A sister partnering.
A parent supporting.
A husband promoting his wife's dream.
A grandchild proudly saying:
“My Aachi made it. Taste it.”
I went to the expo to shop.
I came back with a lesson in family business.
Sometimes the most powerful business lessons aren't found in boardrooms.
They are found at a stall, watching a family build something together.
#FamilyBusiness #FamilyBusinessTransformation #Entrepreneurship #BusinessWisdom #Chettinad #FamilyEntrepreneurship #BusinessCulture #IndianBusinesses
Comments
Post a Comment